Friday, October 11, 2013

Embrace the Camera and a Challenge

My favorite photographer, blogger, and idol, Ashley, from Under the Sycamore, gave us Mommy's a good challenge this week. To include ourselves in our Instagram photos, to embrace the camera.

If you're a photographer and especially a Mommy one, you know how difficult getting into a picture can be. Especially if you're not asked to just take a bunch of stretched armed selfies, not that those are all bad. 

I love that women, and people in general, are encouraged these days to embrace themselves and not be afraid to stand in front of a camera, which can be a very vulnerable place. Giving our children photos of themselves and photos of us and them is a priceless gift, at least, that's how I feel. This challenge was just what I needed during a week of illness and little sleep. It allowed me to think creatively, have fun, and capture some precious moments even on some dreary days. 

These were all shot with my iPhone 5.

Day 1 (Monday): 
Smiles!



Despite my "rule" of not going out on Mondays, because my week never goes well if I don't clean up the tornado that happened over the weekend, we went out. My sister is off on Mondays and her daughter, the kids' only cousin, is their best friend. We decided to go to the nearby fall festival, which is loads of fun. It's easy to catch smiles when there are train rides, big bouncy pillows, and slides so slick they give you butterflies.

Day 2 (Tuesday):
Making Memories



The kids were just starting their colds and we were going through the "I'm sick", "Do you want to stay home from going to Grandma's house?", "Oh, no, I'm not sick anymore" bit. You know toddlers, so indecisive. ;) So, we went ahead to Gram's house and spent a lovely morning eating fruit, playing cards and cars, and chasing my very quick squirt around. I swear that my kids get smarter any time they're around my Grandma. Making Memories indeed.

Day 3 (Wednesday): 
Everyday Moment


I caught this beauty at about 3 am on Wednesday morning. It was the first night the kids felt really cruddy, and shouldn't there be Baby Breathe Right Strips already!? Needless to say, we got little sleep. 

When I crawled into bed, far too late in the evening, I prayed for just a couple hours of sleep before someone started crying. My prayers were answered, but instead of being awoken by my kids, my husband flicked on the bathroom light and started looking around the room warily. "I think something bit me", he said. After a quick scan with the blacklight we saw the culprit, a scorpion. Yay.

I nursed his wound and two of the three did wake up to join our couch party. This was out of the ordinary, praise God, but the sacrifice of sleep and frequent snuggles are a daily occurrence for me.

Day 4 (Thursday):
Creative


It just so happens my creative juices have been flowing like mad lately. Probably to my detriment, but I'm so excited to feel *excited* again, that I'm rolling with it. I was sitting at my computer contemplating the challenge and then I decided that I wanted to do something fun with the kids. We had a ton of cardboard laying on the floor in our dining room just waiting to be turned into something awesome. I gave the kids each a drawing tool and we scribbled, I cut, and eventually we came up with this. I must admit, it took me way too long, and I was nearing the exasperating your children point, but we got the picture and maybe someday my kids will thank me... I hope!

Day 5 (Friday):
Faces



Well, this seemed relatively easy. I could snap a picture of me and one, some, or all the kids. Nah. I could do a quick photo collage. Nah. This was the last day, I needed a finale piece. It wasn't until about 4 pm that I searched for a way to make a slideshow video in Instagram. Turns out there's an app for such a thing, of course! It's called Flipagram and it rocks! So easy to use and well worth the $1.99. You can even put music to it. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I had so much fun with this project, I decided to come up with my own challenge, for you/me/us!

How about this, #picturemarriage!?

Let's embrace our marriages and think outside the box this week when it comes to our very special spouse and Instagram. 

If you've been married for over 2 years or have any number of children, you may be lacking in photos of the two of you. I know we are! While there must be at least one photo of the two of you, not every day has to include your faces. Just be sure to tell a story with your photo!

I'll post my Instagram once a day (starting Monday) and give you direction for the following day. If you are so inclined, please join along and hashtag #picturemarriage so we can see your photos too!

Day 1 Directive (Monday): Just Two

See you Monday!





2 comments:

  1. So many beautiful pictures...they are all SO good. Thank you for joining us, for sharing and for your new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think I will do this challenge!
    By the way, I enjoyed all of your photos this week:)

    ReplyDelete